Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Styling

I'm a less is more kind of girl and looking at my past work, I noticed that less can be a little boring and dull. In interior design more can be a good thing, just as long as it's organized, cohesive, and thoughtfully laid out.  Over the weekend I decided to practice in one area of my place.  One of my favorite areas is by a window in my dining space.  Two black and white paintings on canvas against a blue accent wall pops! After doing a little reading on styling I took accent pieces from around the house: decor magazines, books, vase, plant, picture, candle holders. Things that I've had for years I brought back to life in this new set up.

Before (Simple)

New Look! 
   
Confession. For a long time I would not put fake flowers in my place. I thought I would lose creditably as a decorator for having fake flowers.  I had to be honest with myself, fresh flowers are expensive and not realistic in my home.  However, If I'm having friends over or hosting a dinner, I will switch out the fake stuff for a fresh beautiful bouquet of whatever is in season.  Although, the Jade plant is real and easy to maintain.


These candle holders were one of the first few items I purchased when I got my first apartment 8 years ago!


Inexpensive finds at the Dollar Tree; glass plate and leopard print coaster.  


Here's something unique! Beer caps of my lovee's initials; I had to put these on display. Such a personal touch, near and dear to my heart. 

Well, there you have it! I had a lot of fun with this home project. I stepped out of my comfort zone of being boring and dull and upped my styling game. 

J.




No comments:

Post a Comment